Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Open Letter to Tea Companies Advertising “Magical Weightloss” With Their Tea

Dear tea companies posting about “weight-loss” teas,

I understand that there are some companies out there whose majority purpose is selling tea as a weight-loss aid.  I am not going to knock your statements about helping the body detox, feel less bloated, ease digestion, or aid in weight loss.  I actually fully support the above statements as mostly honest assertions.  What I am taking umbrage with is your use of a single body type to demonstrate your effectiveness.  While I do not doubt that the pictures you keep reposting on Instagram are patrons that use your product, I do want to question the level of efficacy that those photos assume.  Or more specifically the unnecessary reminder to anyone without 4-8 pack abs who wants to have less bloating, a healthier digestive system, and a body detox work for them (those who do not fit the oft-used model figure) that they will likely NOT attain with the use of your tea.

Honestly, all the power in the world and tons of support to the ladies that are using the tea in conjunction with healthy living and possibly intense workout regimens.  I am not and will not be dissatisfied with those ladies.  I am, however, as an avid tea drinker and blogger asking you to have more well-rounded reposts or advertising photos utilizing a range of body types and women/men that have benefited from your tea.

I have definitely benefited from the Fit Life Tea 28-day teatox and will happily thank them for the lessening of bloating and the ease of digestion that I have felt while using their tea.  I will also thank them for giving me a tasty way to stay hydrated during one of the usually worst months for me as a fibro sufferer.  I’m not a model and even when I did have a more socially acceptable figure I did not show my stomach but I have noticed the benefits of the teatox.  I post often about drinking their tea and feeling good, many times assisted by their tea.  

One thing that I do find disconcerting is that while I have been drinking this teatox and working to have a healthier me, I have also been bombarded with images of ladies benefiting from other tea companies’ body aiding tea and have actually felt worse for not being able to fit the mold.  It hasn't been the fact that there are ladies with very beautiful bodies being shown, but that they seem to be the only body-type being shown.  They seem to be the only body-type for a good part of my feed and that is sometimes difficult to scroll through.

I drink tea to calm down, to have less stress, to stay hydrated, to have a delicious cup, to help my body cope, and yes to detox and possibly aid in weight-loss.  I am not saying you should completely do away with the model-concept of tea that assists weight-loss but perhaps instead of only pushing the physical aesthetic, you could also give a nod to the physical rewards not just viewable on the surface.  

I don’t know if the only people posting are only of a particular body type and if they are then great but try reaching out to a broader market by including more than one body-type to possibly benefit more than just those that already have their full-body-act together.

Many cheers and hopes for continued future success!

Tea Life Therapy Blogger, Emily

P.S. to all the ladies (we should also target more gents) out there that are of the body-type being shown, congratulations and keep on being awesome!  This is not a knock on you and I sincerely hope you are proud of yourself, your health, and your own efforts to have some seriously rocking physical features.  Best wishes and many smiles.

P.P.S. Later post incoming about my pitch to tea companies to target people with chronic illnesses (cause I'm a spoonie and I love tea)

No comments:

Post a Comment