Sunday, March 8, 2015

5 Ways for Spoonies to Say "Thanks" to Their Significant Others

So, if you haven't read this blog before or just to clarify, I am a "Spoonie" or person living with a chronic illness.  I am actually living with two, specifically Endometriosis and Fibromyalgia.  My husband, David, was actually one of the first people that really encouraged me to seek medical help for the intense amount of pain and sleep deprivation issues I was facing.  He has been helping me every step of the way from helping me go to appointments, encouraging me with activity, making changes and sacrifices to the food and drinks we have, forgiving me for having to change plans when I get too overwhelmed, helping me day-to-day...the list really does go on and on.  Because I had been going through a bad bout of No-Spoons (exhaustion and flare-ups) I got it in my head that I should share ways for Spoonies to thank their SOs (significant others).

This will be a fun post of ways for Spoonies to show their appreciation for their significant others.

  1. Order In From Their Favorite Food Place - It is important to have a night "out" but since you may not be able to go out, try to have a night "in".  Remember to order their favorite food and/or from their favorite food place.  If you are in an urban area there are several sites that will deliver food to you that may not otherwise have delivery.  Grub Hub is actually a favorite of several friends of ours.  I don't know if everyone has this capability but what can also be nice is asking friends to pick things up for you.  Obviously if you have dietary restrictions and they do not, please don't put yourself at risk...BUT you can get food from their favorite place and food that you can eat or from two different food locations.  It's the togetherness and special attention to them that is the point.
  2. Buy Comfy PJs or Snuggies for You Both - Sometimes we both need to have something soft and comfortable to rest/relax in. Footie Pajamas and Super Hero Snuggies are perfect options (my husband and I are also big nerds) but just remember to get something comfortable for you both that you can both relax in and find comfort in.  You don't have to go outside in them, so don't worry about being "that" couple that has "his/her" stuff, if you aren't that kind of couple.  I know I love fuzzy socks because they feel better when my skin is oversensitive, so why not buy a cool set for myself and a cool set for him to share the awesome fuzziness?
  3. Give Them "Moment for Me" Coupons - So a lot of our significant other's time is dedicated to helping us with several different things and they tend to bottle up their own issues, weaknesses, worries, etc.  Give them a "book" or several coupons that give them the OK to talk about them, watch their favorite show/movie, or just let them cry.  We all need to have that reassurance that we are valued not just because we do something for others but because we have value.  Our partners often feel like they need to give up their needs and that is not healthy.  The "Moment for Me" Coupons are an easy way that your partner can feel guilt-free for asking for "Me Time" because they are coupons that you gave them specifically for the purpose of giving them the "ok" to focus on them.
  4. A SIGNED Copy of Their Favorite Book - This one is very specific but it's more a suggestion to get them something that is uniquely theirs and make it extra special with something like a signature or collectors edition.  Specifically to the option listed, it might not work to go to a Con or a book-signing but I do know that several authors, illustrators, and actors are amazing enough that if you pen a request they may try to accommodate you.  If you go with the idea of something special and specific to them that isn't a book, movie, comic...Amazon and Ebay are really good places to go to get the purchases delivered to your/their doorstep.
  5. Monthly Subscription Box - Another thing that can be paid for up front or in monthly installments that is delivered directly to the person's doorstep.  There are TONS of monthly subscription clubs to belong to, check out My Subscription Addiction for suggestions and easy to navigate payment/subscription set-up.  This one may seem a bit weird but these clubs really offer wonderful options for a variety of interests and it's a nice way to have your SO pamper themselves.  I, myself, am partial to TEA clubs. +Teavana, +Teabox, +Adagio Teas, +The Republic of Tea, and +The Whistling Kettle all have WONDERFUL options.
Honestly everyone, this isn't anything new.  Be we Spoonies or non-Spoonies we have to remember to value our partners.  Give them time for themselves, show your appreciation, and take an active interest in them and their interests.  And because I may not say it enough:

Thank you David.  I love you.  You are amazing and I am so lucky to have you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment